192.168.101.1 IP Address
To access the admin page type 192.168.101.1 into your web browser’s address bar or click on the link below.
Default logins for 192.168.101.1
How to log in to your router at 192.168.101.1
The internet is a wonderful thing. You can play with people from all over the world, watch movies on demand or learn a new skill by watching YouTube tutorials. To do any of these things, you need access to the Internet, and to have access to the Internet at home, you need a router. A ready-to-use router can provide a basic Wi-Fi network to use, although, to get the best experience from your router, you need to access the router’s interface. To make changes to your router, you need to use the address 192.168.101.1 to access the interface. You can feel comfortable with the Wi-Fi network you have and don’t want to make changes, although if something goes wrong, it’s still good to know how to access your router’s interface, and here’s how:
- First, you need a computer with access to the Internet, which will likely be the case if you have a router. You must then connect that computer device to your router, either over the Wi-Fi network or over a wired Ethernet connection. A computer or laptop with a wired connection is better.
- After connecting your computer to the router, open your web browser. Your browser can be Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Edge. With your browser open, type 192.168.101.1 in the search bar.
- Searching 192.168.101.1 will take you to the router interface. You will be asked to enter the login details associated with your router. The correct username and password will grant access to the router interface.
If you don’t know your router’s login details, you can usually find them detailed at the bottom of your router. You can also find your router’s login details on the manufacturer’s website.
How to configure your router with 192.168.101.1
The steps above will allow you to access your router’s interface. There are many things you can do in this menu, although, for someone who is accessing the router interface for the first time, it is a good idea to keep the basics. A great place to start is to change the login details mentioned above.
- After following the steps above, you will have access to your router’s interface. When in the main menu, search for general settings or the administrator settings menu.
- Scroll through this menu until you find the password field for the router. The username field will also be in this menu.
- After finding the correct field, enter your desired username or password, depending on which one you want to change. If you are changing your password, make sure your new password is secure.
- As with any changes made to the router, always save when done.
How to change your Wi-Fi network name and password
After changing the login details for the router interface, the next thing you can do is set the login details for the router’s Wi-Fi network. To change the name of the Wi-Fi network, you need to change the SSID.
- Again, go to the general settings or administrator settings menu.
- In that menu, look for the wireless settings option.
- This is where you will find the SSID field. Select the field and enter the name of the desired Wi-Fi network.
- As before, save your changes.
Changing your Wi-Fi password follows similar steps. Instead of selecting the SSID field, select the Wi-Fi password field. Enter the desired password and save the changes.
More On 192.168.101.1
192.168.101.1 is a local, private, or gateway IP address. Your router’s 192.168.101.1 IP address is used by computer devices connected to the Wi-Fi network, which also have IP addresses, to ensure that a data request, such as a visit to a website, gets you where you need to be. 192.168.101.1 is not the only IP address on your router, as it also has a public IP address. Your ISP and any website you visit will use your public IP address to get the information requested by the computer device to the place it needs to go. Your public IP address then passes the information to the private IP address 192.168.101.1, which then sends it to your computer screen.
How to Find Your IP Address
The 192.168.101.1 number string is a common IP address, although it may not be the one defined for your router. If 192.168.101.1 is not the IP address that works with your router, you can search for your router model online. This should provide the correct IP address. Alternatively, you can check the base of your router, which should have the details listed. There is one more way to verify your IP address, although the method is different depending on the operating system you use.
For a Microsoft Windows computer:
- Select the network symbol in the lower right corner of the screen.
- After opening this menu, select the Wi-Fi network you are using to access the Internet.
- After clicking on the Wi-Fi network, you will see a list of information related to the network. One such information will be IPv4, which is your IP address and is similar to 192.168.101.1.
For a computer running on MAC OS X:
- Click on the Apple menu, which you will find in the upper left corner of the screen.
- With this menu open, select your system preferences.
- You will have a selection of Wi-Fi networks and you must select the one you will use to access the Internet.
- Next to the word router, you will find your IP address.
What is an IP address like 192.168.101.1?
As stated above, 192.168.101.1 is the private IP address associated with your router. As the name suggests, only people with access to the network can see this IP address. This address is not unique to your router, with most brands choosing to use a selection of private IP addresses in their range of routers. Even so, the address is not exclusive to a brand, with two different companies being able to use the same IP address for their routers. The only person who will see the private IP address is the person who manages the network.
Your router is not the only device in your home or office that has a private IP address. Any computer device that connects to the Internet will receive an address, which is usually related to your router’s IP address. For example, your router may have 192.168.100.1 as the defined address, then your laptop will have 192.168.100.2 and your smartphone may have 192.168.100.3. When using these number strings, your router knows where to send information from the Internet, just like the voicemail example above. However, it is not just devices connected to the Internet that use a private IP address. Other devices connected to the network, such as printers or servers used for storage, also have a private IP address, which allows other devices on the network to make use of their functions.
But who decides which numbers are for private IP addresses? All IP addresses, when it comes to IPv4 addresses, whether they are private or public, are four blocks of numbers separated by a dot. However, certain sets of numbers are reserved for private IP addresses by the IANA or the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority. These sets fit into the following ranges:
Private vs. Public IP addresses
As we now know, the private IP address, such as 192.168.101.1, is directly related to your Wi-Fi network and allows you to access the router’s interface, in addition to allowing your devices to connect to the network. Your router has two different IP addresses, with the other one briefly mentioned being the public IP address.
The public address is assigned directly by the ISP or Internet service provider, with the sequence of numbers being any number, except part of the ranges listed above, although each public IP address must be unique. This public IP address allows your router to connect and communicate with the Internet. Any website you visit can see your public IP address and then use it to deliver the requested content to your network.
Unlike your private IP address, a public IP is likely to change. If so, your ISP has assigned you a dynamic IP address. With so many people using the Internet at the same time, ISPs must either distribute their available IP addresses as used, or risk running out of addresses to assign, which means that some users would not be able to access the Internet. It is possible to have a static public IP address that will never change, these being popular for hosting a website or cloud servers, which always need to be online.
As a public IP address is public, there is a concern for security among Internet users. A private IP address cannot do much more than allow you to access the router and allow people to connect to the provided network, but the public IP address can reveal a user’s approximate location. A skilled hacker can create more information than just his area, since with the right tools and the data provided from his public IP address, someone could create an accurate personal profile for a network user. If security is a concern for you, a VPN service, which some routers have built-in, can help you relax. A VPN service will not show websites their real public IP address, which is why a VPN is also a viable option when trying to view content restricted by location.
Router That using 192.168.101.1 as default IP